Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I made an outline!

Okay, so I've successfully managed to increase the pace of my second novel, Courting Apparitions. I had outlined the entire manuscript earlier, to make sure I didn't miss anything in my revisions as I cut drastically the goings-on.

I have reached Chapter 10, and I don't want to miss any of the details and there's a lot to make sure stays in place.

So, I outline the proposed new manuscript, which chapters were moving where. I started at where I am, outlined three chapters out. Then I started at the end and worked my way back. I continued in this manner until I had two chapters in the middle where nothing happens.

"Luckily," I had forgotten the chapter where the pregnant lady has the baby, which is important since the baby is the focus of action starting with the third-to-last chapter.

But the rearranging is always an interesting exercise. It shows you how on track you are and also allows some creativity in saying "Oh, that deleted scene can go here..."

No comments:

Post a Comment