Thursday, December 24, 2009

Personal tales

As a little girl, I used to spend a great deal of time at my neighbor's house. I probably told her everything, probably in more detail than a should have.

But she laughed at my stories. I have always liked telling stories and making people laugh, or feel, feel anything.

This came back to me last night, when I told a friend the very personal tale of what happened when I brought my Jacqueline Susann novel to the gynecologist's office. I also realized too many of my recent tales have involved work and the people I work with. I have the traditional child stories, too. But it's been a long time since I had a fun personal story to tell.

Here's an excerpt:
"I walk into the office today, and strangely, I can't find any magazines other than Highlights. And I read enough Highlights at home. I brought a book, but I feel weird getting it out, because it's Jacqueline Susann's Once is Not Enough. Bad literary choice. I should have brought The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo or even David Sedaris. But I didn't.

I open the book carefully, on my lap so no one can read the cover. Normally, I wouldn't hide it, but who brings SMUT to the OB/GYN's office? And I open it to the chapter where Linda is telling January what she needs to do to get a man aroused, and then January goes for a vitamin shot that makes her horny.

They call my name. "

Which also reminds me. Since we're in between semesters, I took some books out of both libraries-- public and college. I'm currently working on:
  • The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
  • Naked by David Sedaris
  • Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, Sedaris
  • The French translation of Me Talk Pretty One Day, Sedaris
  • Once is Not Enough
  • some novel with Cézanne in the title
  • A history of the bra in America
  • A fashion reader (okay, two fashion readers)

No comments:

Post a Comment