So, to spend the day with the gracious and humorous L.A. Banks (and have a fantastic dinner with her last night) can indeed inspire.
She, like her friend Jonathan Maberry, has an incredible energy about her. They share a philosophy which feels so right for anyone in any field: Stay true to yourself and stay positive. Whatever energy you expend into this universe, send positive vibes. Never jinx a project with your own negative thoughts.
Some highlights of the day:
- Ask yourself questions about your work. How is it different? What are the hot trends of the marketplace and how does my book fit? Can my project fill a void in an underserved market? What current movies are similar to my project?
- Find new communities to expose to your work. Have your writing group and/or critique group help you brainstorm marketing opportunities? How can multimedia trends serve you?
- Work conferences to find new communities and to have face time with agents and editors.
- If you're not sure what regional dialogue sounds like, call the local Wal*Mart.
- Don't underestimate the sense of smell.
- What is not said is as important as what is said.
- All classic stories follow the model laid out in Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces.