Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Magic of Books

I'm reading the memoir "The Piano Shop on the Left Bank" by Thad Carhart.

Not only does it transport me to Paris and remind me of the quirky traits of the French, but it successfully captures the essence of the hobbyist musicians and the complexity and personality of pianos. This is one art I have attempted to understand and even with world music and music appreciation classes. I have never bridged that gap.

Some writers slowly build believable worlds with words, worlds that you accept, but some authors can instantly transport you to the protagonist's side as if by magic.

Thank you, Thad, for the magic.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying the hand-me down book. It's been years since I read it and it's been passed to many people before it came back to me. You can keep it if you want, or send it off to the libraries book sale, or as they say at book crossings "set it free" for someone else to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. Here's Carharts website if you want to send him a message http://www.thadcarhart.com/

    The new book cover is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete